Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I add a minor?
- What minors does the department offer?
- How do I change my major?
- How do I do credit by examination?
- Does the department offer tutoring?
- How do I transfer a course taken at another college to TCNJ?
- Where can I find forms?
- How do I request a course overload? How can I take more than 4 course units in a semester?
- I can’t sign up for Business Calculus/Calculus because I do not have the prerequisite for the course. What do I do?
Full information can be found from Records and Registration’s site. In brief, a student needs to fill out this form, have it signed by the departmental chair, and submit it to the Office of Records and Registration.
Full information can be found from Records and Registration’s site. In brief, a student can only file the change of major form during the first six weeks of the semester. A student needs to fill out this form, have it signed by the departmental chair, and submit it to the Office of Records and Registration.
Currently enrolled students wishing to earn credit through the College’s own examination/assessment process need the permission of the chairperson of the department in which the examination is being given. Forms for this process can be downloaded here.
Having once enrolled in a course, whether for a regular grade, a pass/fail grade, or an audit grade, a student may not elect to take the course on a credit-by-examination basis. The fee for the examination is based on the number of course units to be awarded per examination and is $60 per course unit (or fraction thereof).*
The department does offer walk-in group tutoring. Please go to our Tutoring page for more information and for a schedule. Also, additional tutoring for several of our courses is available at the Tutoring Center.
If you are taking a course at a community college in New Jersey, you can see what the equivalent course is at TCNJ by checking NJTransfer.org and clicking on the “Course Equivalencies” link on the left side of the page. If you would like to take a course at another school, the procedure to follow can be found at http://www.tcnj.edu/~recreg/policies/courseauthorization.html. Please note that there is a Course Authorization Form (http://www.tcnj.edu/~recreg/policies/documents/CourseAuthorizationForm_000.pdf) that needs to be signed before you take the course at the other college. However, if the course is taken at a community college and is listed on NJTransfer.org (without restrictions), you will not need to get the department chair’s signature. Simply take the form to Records and Registration and they will approve it for you.
Please note that a community college course may transfer to TCNJ but not count towards the major. For example, many of the Calculus III courses will transfer to TCNJ, but as elective credit, and will not satisfy the requirements for the Mathematics and Statistics majors. Similarly, science courses needed as correlates for the Mathematics and Statistics majors must transfer as courses that count for the respective Biology, Chemistry, or Physics major.
You can find forms on our Forms page!
To request a course overload (or take more than 4 courses in a semester) you need to fill out a Request for Increase in Maximum Course Load. Once you have filled out the form, have it signed by the chair of the Mathematics and Statistics Department, then take it to the School of Science office and have the Assistant Dean sign it as well. Once all of the signatures have been obtained, it goes to R&R for processing.
I can’t sign up for Business Calculus/Calculus because I do not have the prerequisite for the course. What do I do?
There are three ways you can satisfy the prerequisite requirement:
- If your Math SAT score is 600 or above, you can ask permission from the Mathematics and Statistics Department to be placed into the Calculus course without having to take Precalculus. However, if your SAT score is below 650, we strongly recommend that you take Precalculus first, as we find that students with a score below 650 often have a much more difficult time with Calculus.
- You can sign up for Precalculus at TCNJ. If you enroll in Precalculus for the summer session before or during your normal enrollment window for the fall semester, PAWS should allow you to enroll in the Calculus for fall.
- You can take the course at another college or university, as long as the course is transferable to TCNJ (see How do I transfer a course taken at another college to TCNJ?). However, you must show proof that you have successfully completed Precalculus at the other institution before you will be allowed to sign up for Calculus.